The View Skyline Spiral Notebook

Spring Has Come GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2024 7:11 PM  #1

Killed my first snake of the year!

Always have to get that first one to scare the bejesus out of you while digging or planting.  I was pulling weeds and a younger one squiggled out from under some leaves.  It was only about a foot long, but I killed it because it is only going to get bigger.  It is also harder to identify them when they are that young because they don't start showing colors until they get more mature.  Young ones are always just plain and grayish.

The Best Time For New Beginnings Is Now!! 

April 5, 2024 12:47 PM  #2

Re: Killed my first snake of the year!

Ugh! I hate snakes!

Behind every powerful woman is a cat or dog following her in the bathroom

April 5, 2024 12:58 PM  #3

I do too and it's hard to tell what they are when they are still young and don't have distinct colors and head shapes yet.

April 5, 2024 4:28 PM  #4

All I can say is, I would have had to go inside to change my pants!!!

Last edited by presh37 (April 5, 2024 4:29 PM)

~The best things about the good old days was that I wasn't good and I wasn't old~

April 5, 2024 4:42 PM  #5

Snakes are good for the ecosystem, was this a poisonous snake?  I'm really only terrified of big spiders

"If Democrats can’t cheat they can’t win"

April 5, 2024 11:51 PM  #6

I don't like snakes or gators.  My brother and his wife's parents were camping down in Florida at Disneyland one year and my brother walked out of his camper early in the morning and there was a large gator right near the camper.  He quickly ran back into the camper.

Hope is still one of the most powerful forces ever!!

April 6, 2024 3:05 AM  #7

View - I'm not sure.  That was the problem.  It was in a Iris garden and the leaves had not been raked out and he kept getting half way under the leaves.  I hollered at my husband and he said he thought it was just a garden snake.  Then he said  "hmmmm -I'm not so sure"  When they are  young they don't have distinct colors/markings.  Water Moccasins are just gray so they are the hardest to identify and when they are young they don't have a distinct triangular head.  If it had been a green grass snake I wouldn't have killed it, but around here the 3 most common snakes are the copperhead, rattlesnake, and the water Moccasins.  Not going to get bit or have one of the dogs get bit.  We already had one dog go after a Rattlesnake on the porch.  Thank God we were home.

Board footera