The View Skyline Spiral Notebook

Spring Has Come GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2023 7:46 PM  #1

Book I'm Reading

In 1938 Trudi Kanter, stunningly beautiful, chic and charismatic, was a hat designer for the best-dressed women in Vienna. She frequented the most elegant cafés. She had suitors. She flew to Paris to see the latest fashions. And she fell deeply in love with Walter Ehrlich, a charming and romantic businessman. But as Hitler’s tanks rolled into Austria, the world this young Jewish couple knew collapsed, leaving them desperate to escape. In prose that cuts straight to the bone, Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler tells the true story of Trudi’s astonishing journey from Vienna to Prague to blitzed London seeking safety for her and Walter amid the horror engulfing Europe. It was her courage, resourcefulness and perseverance that kept both her and her beloved safe during the Nazi invasion and that make this an indelible memoir of love and survival.

Sifting through a secondhand bookshop in London, an English editor stumbled upon this extraordinary book, and now, though she died in 1992, the world has a second chance to discover Trudi Kanter’s enchanting story. In these pages she is alive—vivid, tenacious and absolutely unforgettable.

~The best things about the good old days was that I wasn't good and I wasn't old~

October 12, 2023 1:37 AM  #2

Re: Book I'm Reading

I haven't seen it in the library, but I will look again.  If she just wrote that one book it may not get checked out much.  I'll look tomorrow or look in my Kindle. Is it sad and horrid?  After reading what is happening now in IsreaI may not want to read it.

The Best Time For New Beginnings Is Now!! 

October 12, 2023 3:09 AM  #3

Just found the book.  I checked online, but someone has it checked out.  I suppose it is under non-fiction and I don't put those up.  So unless I check it back in myself I wouldn't see it.  I could put it on reserve though.

Last edited by Nip99 (October 12, 2023 3:09 AM)

October 12, 2023 3:23 AM  #4

I wrote info down and when whoever has it brings it back I can check it out.

October 12, 2023 4:04 AM  #5

Nip99 wrote:

I haven't seen it in the library, but I will look again. If she just wrote that one book it may not get checked out much. I'll look tomorrow or look in my Kindle. Is it sad and horrid? After reading what is happening now in IsreaI may not want to read it.

Oh dear God, no .. it's 1938 and Hitler is just beginning to invade Austria.  It makes me think of Sound of Music time.

~The best things about the good old days was that I wasn't good and I wasn't old~

October 12, 2023 2:10 PM  #6

I love the Sound of Music.  My favorite movie.  I am going to put it on reserve and when the person who has it turns it in I can get it.

October 12, 2023 3:20 PM  #7

Oh mine too and it's set at that time with the Nazis coming it.  

It's just a good book I think and I hope you like it.  

October 12, 2023 3:54 PM  #8

I'll look up who has it and when its due back when I get to work.

October 13, 2023 1:49 AM  #9

Well - it turned out that they didn't have it afterall.  I swear my husband said he looked it up and they had it.  Wrong!  I can't find it on Kindle either.  Where did you get yours?

Last edited by Nip99 (October 13, 2023 3:27 PM)

October 13, 2023 4:45 AM  #10

It was in our Library here.

October 13, 2023 1:44 PM  #11

They are having the "last chance" part of the Book Sale again this weekend before we haul all the leftover books back to the basement so if they ask me to go up there and help I'll try to sift through all the books and see if we have a copy.

October 13, 2023 3:11 PM  #12

Amazon has it as low as $1.60 for used paperback.  

Board footera